It's important to learn about what mold is and where it thrives. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is dangerous to people is relatively rare in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds you find in your house or business aren't dangerous. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold in your home or business must be mitigated and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you contact a who repairs mold damage Laguna Niguel CA company for help if the mold growth takes up more than about 3 square feet. This is because if you see mold growth, there is probably more behind walls, in attics and elsewhere.
Before you contact mold removal services, the first step is to prevent the mold from growing. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Then, work to halt the dripping or condensation that brought the mold. Make sure roof leaks are no longer getting into your attic and staunch the flow of any moisture that has penetrated your basement. Then, contain the problem. You might block off the area in question with disposable tarps, for example.
Should you get a professional service to help or can you finish the cleanup by yourself? Beyond considering the size of the issue, think about any aggravating health issues you may have that make you susceptible to becoming sick.
Once you've made the decision, there are important steps to take in either direction. To finish the cleanup yourself, gather supplies such as gloves that reach your forearms, full-coverage clothing, non-ventilated goggles and approved mold masks. You might also need something to trap mold from reaching the floor and tools to fix drywall, if that's where you found the mold. Experts agree that you should not leave drywall that has mold on it anywhere because it can't be cleaned thoroughly. Whatever you do, don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a serious mold repair problem. It's completely unsuccessful for soft surfaces, afterall, and only partially effective on hard ones. It's also potentially toxic because it can cause fumes and should not be mixed with ammonia-based cleaners such as window cleaner.
Chances are that if you're concerned enough about mold damage to do online research, you need certified a professional mold removal company. It is best if you find these companies in your area, so contact if you live in that area. This will ensure that you hire technicians with enough experience.
Check licensing and certifications before you hire a mold damage cleanup service. The State Office of Consumer Protection is a good place to get started, and you should check for approval by groups such as as the Restoration Industry Association, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration and Contractor Connection. You might also make sure the company knows and follows federal mold cleanup recommendations whether your mold is in a business or a residence.
You should clean up any mold growth you come across to stop further toxicity risk, and do it right away. If you don't, mold damage will continue to feast on your home or business and can ruin your things. Some molds, those that release mycotoxins, can also cause major health risks ranging from neurological damage to breathing problems and mold-related illnesses and ongoing ill health. Mold in the environment can be particularly harmful to infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system such as people with AIDS/HIV or lupus.
The safest way to clean up your mold damage is to get mold removal help. Don't wait another minute.