What to do During a DUI Stop

It's wise to believe that police want what's best in most situations, but it's also important to know your rights. Police have the ultimate power - to take away our liberty and, in some instances, even our lives. If you are part of a criminal defense case or investigated for drunken driving, make sure you are protected by an attorney.

Identification? Not Necessarily

Many citizens don't know that they aren't obligated to answer all police questions, even if they were driving. If they aren't driving, they can't be coerced to prove their identities. These protections were put into the U.S. Constitution and have been verified by the U.S. Supreme Court. You have a right not to testify or speak against yourself, and you can almost always just leave if you aren't being detained or arrested.

Even good guys need criminal defense lawyers. Whether you have committed a DUI and violated other laws or have not, you should be protected. Knowing all therules and being familiar with the multiple situations where they apply should be left up to good laywers. Find someone whose first responsibility it is to know these things for the best possible outcome to any crime, even a DUI.

Sometimes You Should Talk to Police

While there are times for silence in the working with the police, remember the truth that most cops only want to keep the peace and would rather not take you in. You don't want to make the police feel like you're against them. This is an additional reason to work with an attorney such as the expert counsel at personal injury law firm Tacoma WA on your team, especially after being arrested. A good criminal defense lawyer can help you better understand when to talk and when to keep quiet.

Question Permission to Search

You don't have to give permission to look through your home or automobile. Probable cause, defined in a simple way, is a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed. It's more serious than that, though. It's probably best to deny permission for searches verbally and let your attorney handle it.